Job Opportunity in Vietnam – Captive Wild Animal Management Advisor (Voluntary)
Job Description- Captive Wild Animal Management Advisor (Voluntary)
Job Title: Captive Wild Animal Management Advisor (Voluntary)
Location: Hanoi, Vietnam
Period: 6 months
This is a voluntary appointment. If currently employed it is to be made in agreement with your current employer entering into a partnership with the stakeholders listed to deliver the aims of the programme. Your employer’s contribution to this programme will be your time.
Stakeholders: Hanoi Zoo, Animals Asia, Wild Welfare, Yorkshire Wildlife Park
Proposed start date: As available
- BACKGROUND INFORMATION:
Hanoi Zoo is a government-run zoo located in central Hanoi. Since 2014, Wild Welfare, Animals Asia and Yorkshire Wildlife Park, have developed a working relationship with Hanoi Zoo and have an agreement to provide technical support to improve animal welfare. The focus of this partnership has been on animal enrichment, enclosure modifications and management advice, and significant improvements have already been achieved, but there is scope for much more. It is hoped that Hanoi Zoo could serve as a ‘model’ for how other collaborative relationships can be built and improvements for animals can be made that can be used to implement management procedures that meet the needs of captive wild animals, at other facilities housing wildlife throughout Vietnam.
- OVERALL JOB PURPOSE:
To work as an animal management advisor at Hanoi Zoo to develop and ensure the implementation of practical and sustainable improvements in animal care through the provision of information, training and advice. This is a fantastic opportunity to take forward the positive work that has already been achieved and utilise your existing skills in animal and people management in an overseas environment. You will be working with international animal welfare organisations, of which are supported by a wider network of animal welfare and zoological institutions. You will have autonomy over your timetable, although may be requested to attend meetings or visit other zoos elsewhere within Vietnam on request of the supporting institutions.
- KEY RESPONSIBILITIES:
To work in collaboration with the staff and animal managers at Hanoi Zoo, with support from Animals Asia, Yorkshire Wildlife Park and Wild Welfare to:
- Develop improved animal management, housing and safety protocols using a participatory approach and ensuring continuity. Building on the work that has already been achieved by previous ‘captive wild animal management experts; including the development and implementation of housing standards, enrichment calendars, safety protocols and to ensure varied and appropriate/adequate diets are being fed.
- Provide the staff with background information and training on species specific animal management and husbandry to improve captive animal welfare and to build understanding, knowledge and skills among the staff.
- Ensure agreed changes are supported and understood by the staff so they can be implemented beyond the scope of the programme.
- Support zoo management in updating existing protocols, plans and standards with regards to the animal collection and keeping in the zoo; including disease prevention plans, housing standards, vaccination schemes and diets.
- Support the Hanoi Zoo Education department with visitor events and activities at the zoo
Success requires the full support of the Hanoi zoo staff and thus the most important aspect of this role is the ability to develop a respectful working relationship with the staff and to be able to gain their trust and support.
Animal Asia has an office in Hanoi and will provide logistical and translation support.
This programme is also overseen by Animals Asia’s ‘Animal Welfare Manager’ based in Central Vietnam and support will be provided by the Animal Welfare Manager throughout the programme. All international stakeholders also send international staff to Vietnam throughout the year that can also provide logistical and online support.
- PERSON SPECIFICATION:
|Qualification/ Education/ Knowledge||Employed within a captive wild animal facility for a minimum of five years
Degree in relevant subject
|Experience||Experience in working in a captive wild animal facility on a management or overseeing level
Proven experience and expertise in developing/implementing protocols and standards; enrichment calendars, husbandry guidelines, dietary requirements
Proven experience and expertise in animal management for a variety of species (you will be working with a wide range of species)
Experience of working in or with charity/NGO/voluntary sector
Experience of working internationally or on projects with international application
|Abilities/ Skills||Excellent written and oral communication skills
Experience of hosting/ facilitating workshops
Experience in developing proposals/protocols/ guidelines related to animal management
Ability to work in partnership with key stakeholders and sustain strategic partnerships
Ability to effectively support and advise staff and physical resources
|Circumstances||Ability to reside in Hanoi for the duration of the posting.
If necessary, full support of employer to take on this six-month role
- Travel costs to and from Hanoi must be met by you / your employer.
- Accommodation costs must be met by you / your employer (advice can be provided on location/suitability of accommodation)
- Monthly allowance of US$500 will be provided
- Visa costs will be covered for the duration of your employment
For further details and/or to send an application letter/CV please write to firstname.lastname@example.org