Shark Awareness Day- 14 July, 2017
Today is #SharkAwarenessDay, a day to highlight the plight of sharks worldwide, of which many of the species are endangered.
There are lots of things you can do to help sharks. Here are some of our top tips:
- Never eat shark meat or shark fin soup
- Only eat shark-friendly sustainable fish from trusted sources (millions of sharks are killed as a byproduct of commercial fishing)
- Avoid imitation crab, lobster, and shrimp, as they are often made from shark meat
- When purchasing beauty products, look out for the ingredient squalene. Squalene is shark liver oil and a common ingredient in things like makeup and soap
- If you take chondroitin supplements, make sure they do not source the chondroitin from shark cartilage.
- Do not buy products made with shagreen. Shagreen is shark skin leather and is used to make shoes, handbags, belts, and clothing.
- Only buy ethical shark souvenirs you may want to purchase shark teeth or jaws, so just make sure they are fossilized and not new!
Read More Here
Image © Andre Seale, Marine Photobank, source:www.sharktrust.org